Are you worried that your golden retriever is no longer interested in eating its favorite puppy dog food? We suggest you should calm down and read this article to find out what to feed to a grown-up golden retriever.
In a Hurry? Here are Our Top Choices
No matter how effective some foods have been for your golden retriever pups, you must start considering their nutritional needs as they grow older. This is because a golden retriever’s nutritional needs change with age. The Merck Veterinary Manual states that adult dogs require at least 18 percent proteins and 5 percent fat in their daily diet. These percentages further vary from across different dog breeds.
But don’t let this confuse you. The following are our top picks for the best dog food for older golden retrievers which promise to meet the needs of your pet dog.
1. Primal Freeze-Dried Formula Beef – Overall Best Dog Food
Primal Formula beef is the overall best dog food for older golden retrievers because it is free of any junk additives or non-nutritional fillers. It has a grain-free and freeze-dried formula that is specifically aimed for older golden retrievers and suits the majority of the breeds. Composed primarily of 77% beef, this dog food includes other nutritional contents such as squash, carrots, broccoli, and kale.
Primal Formula beef comes in a raw form so you will have to re-hydrate it using water. If your golden retriever loves to eat raw meat, this dog food is the perfect alternative and makes a brilliant fresh dog food diet. Each bite of this dog food contains 38% fat and 48% protein which ensure that your golden retriever stays healthy and sound. It has a delicious taste that makes it a good dog treat as well.
- Acts as a fresh dog food diet
- Easy to prepare
- Significantly increases metabolism and restores energy levels
- Made of good quality ingredients
- Doesn’t consist of any preservatives
- The beef used in the product is organic and free of hormones or antibiotics
- Non-GMO fruits and vegetables included
- More expensive than most dog foods for older golden retrievers
- The fat or protein content may not suit inactive or lazy golden retrievers
2. Taste of the Wild High Prairie – Best Dog Food for Smaller Golden Mixes
Small-sized golden retrievers are known to have a fast metabolism and high energy levels. Therefore, the best dog food for older golden retrievers is the Taste of the Wild because it is rich in nutrients, especially protein which comes from salmon. It contains a mix of lamb, venison, buffalo, and bison.
This grain-free product is a biologically appropriate model for feeding golden retrievers due to it having high protein and low carbohydrate content. It consists of 17% fat and 33% protein with no artificial flavors or preservatives. This formula allows it to have an optimum impact on the skin and coat of your golden retriever and simultaneously improve its digestive system. You may also choose this dog food if your golden retriever is intolerant of eggs.
- It is biologically appropriate
- Composed using a wide range of non-GMO vegetables, pulses, and meat
- Ideal for dogs allergic to grains
- Contains 70% meat content
- Made of very high-quality ingredients
- A costly option as compared to other dog foods for older golden retrievers
3. Blue Wilderness High Protein Dog Food – Best for Highly Active Dogs
If your active golden retriever no longer shows the same level of energy, you should consider changing its meal plan and getting Blue Wilderness High Protein dog food. Its formula is specially made to cater to the needs of active adult golden retrievers. The recipe intends to satisfy your dog’s natural desire to consume meat by including a real duck in the ingredients that assist in building and maintaining lean muscle mass.
What makes Blue Wilderness High Protein one of the best dog foods for older golden retrievers is its exclusive LifeSource Bits formula which is a blend of vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals. This formula is recommended by experts to support healthy oxidative balance and immune system health. It comes in a 24 lbs pack and features some of the finest ingredients including flaxseed, tomato, and peas. You may also use this dog food when you are scared that your golden retriever may be gaining too much weight.
- Has a delicious meaty taste
- Can easily be broken into smaller pieces
- Available in different flavors
- Helps to boost energy levels
- Made of all-natural ingredients and contains DHA and Omega-3 fatty acids
- Free of any preservatives or additives
- Very brittles chunks that can easily fall apart
- Has a slightly higher calorie content than other dog foods for older golden retrievers
- Contains tapioca which is not good for a dog’s health
4. Canidae Grain-Free Pure Dog Food – Best Dog Food for the Budget
Most of the items of this list of best dog foods for golden retrievers are expensive products. Canidae Dry dog food, however, is the best option for you if you want amazing quality dog food at a lower price. It makes a delicious meal for your golden retriever because of its contents – especially Salmon and Mackerel. This dog food is slow-cooked in a broth before being served to your pet, almost like a home meal in a can. The high-quality proteins enable gentle digestion and provide maximum nutrition.
- Made of high-quality ingredients
- Doesn’t have any preservatives, artificial flavors, or colors
- Provides a complete balanced diet
- Dry dog food that uses moderate amounts of meat
- Has a good meat content
- Highly recommended by experts
- Supports healthy digestion and immune system
- More expensive than other dog foods for older golden retrievers
- Takes some preparation time
5. Halo Spot’s Stew Wholesome Chicken – Best for Sensitive Golden Retrievers
Our pick for the best dog food for golden retrievers who are sensitive is Halo Spot’s Stew Wholesome Chicken. This is because the majority of the proteins in this dog food come from eggs and chicken which are easily digestible. Other sources of protein in this product are plants such as peas. As the name suggests, this dog food is composed of wholesome ingredients – neither are there any artificial flavorings and preservatives not rendered meat.
Halo Spot’s dog food includes carbohydrates and vitamin B which comes from barley and oats. The mineral content is extracted from vegetables and fruits including sweet potatoes, blueberries, etc. – all of which make this the perfect food choice for your golden retriever.
- Consists of omega-3 fatty acids
- Composed of bio-available nutrients that facilitate digestion
- Promotes healthy skin and coat
- Maintains high energy levels
- It contains high-quality ingredients including whole chicken, oatmeal, etc.
- Free of any dangerous preservatives or GMO vegetable and fruits
- Kibble pieces may be too small for large breed golden retrievers
Our Final Thoughts
The best dog food for older golden retrievers ensures that there are minimal non-organic and all-natural ingredients that make the food rich in nutrients. Our top pick for you is the Primal Freeze-dried Formula Beef dog food, however, remember that your golden retriever’s specific needs should be your priority.