Is your Golden Retriever not as active and playful as it used to be? Is it taking longer for them to get up in the morning? Perhaps they’re not running after their favorite toy as excitedly as they used to?
If this rings true for your golden furry friend, they may be experiencing joint pain or joint damage.
In a Hurry? Here are Our Top Choices
Much like humans, dogs are also prone to weak joints as they grow older. While your golden pup is not able to verbally tell you that it’s in pain, there are certain telltale signs that you should look out for. For instance, you may notice that your furry buddy no longer comes to greet you at the door when you come home after a long day at work, or perhaps, they whimper as soon as they get up to chase their ball.
The 4 Best Joint Supplements for Golden Retrievers
If your pet is displaying similar signs and behaviors, it’s time to consider adding a dose of joint supplements to your dog’s daily diet. To help make things easy for you, here is a list of some of the best joint supplements for golden retrievers.
1. VetriScience GlycoFlex Ultimate Strength Joint Support Bite-Sized Dog Chews
This is one of the best joint supplements for golden retrievers, especially for those working, active, and senior dogs who have begun to show signs of deteriorating joint health. This joint supplement has been used and further recommended by numerous veterinarians for more than forty years.
According to clinical statistics, the supplements have shown to increase hind leg strength in dogs by almost 41 percent over just 4 weeks. Its formula features a powerful blend of three essential ingredients, namely: glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM. These ingredients together provide maximum joint support that will help your aging retriever restore their activeness and energy levels.
It further consists of Vitamin C, manganese, and glutathione that pave the way for increased immune support and better absorption in the body.
A great feature of these supplements is that they come in the form of delicious soft chews and are available in two amazing flavors; duck and chicken liver. The flavors make it easy for dogs to take their daily medicine dose without any problem.
Additionally, these supplements provide all the essential nutrients that your retriever needs in order to function normally and actively at all times.
- Provides superior joint care
- Works equally well for puppies, adults and senior dogs
- They are full of flavor
- Very versatile and beneficial for active dogs
- Some retrievers might find it less palatable
2. Nupro All Natural Joint & Immunity Support Dog Supplement
As the name suggests, these joint supplements are enriched with an all-natural formula that is made up of ester-c, MSM, and glucosamine complex. It also includes an adequate amount of vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, amino acids, and enzymes, which together offer exceptional joint support for all joint-related problems faced by your retriever.
This product is designed to help a variety of retriever breeds, including seniors, adult dogs, working dogs, and even puppies. It is considered to be one of the top joint supplements for golden retrievers due to its excellent ingredients, and because it doesn’t contain any preservatives, wheat, corn, or sugar.
One of the best features of these joint supplements is that they’re easy to consume; you can either sprinkle it over your retriever’s food, or you can mix it with a little water and turn it into a tasty gravy. Either way, it will greatly help promote overall bone and joint health in your pet and will seriously bolster their immune system.
- Suitable for a variety of dog breeds
- Consists of excellent ingredients
- Supports normal inflammatory responses
- Significantly boosts energy levels in all aging dogs
- Some retrievers might not like the flavor
- Can cause gastrointestinal problems if dogs consume it before a proper meal
3. Nutramax Cosequin DS Plus with MSM Chewable Tablets
This has been hailed as the best joint supplement for dogs on the market, given its amazingly quick results and a fine blend of some of the most incredible ingredients that such supplements can have. It greatly promotes the idea of a healthy lifestyle in dogs of all sizes, ages, and activity levels.
These joint supplements consist of MSM, a naturally occurring, sulfur-containing organic compound that increases joint mobility in dogs and maintains optimal joint function in their bodies.
Although the initial administration period of these supplements is said to be four to six weeks, you might notice positive and significant changes in your pet’s health in as early as a week. We know that giving medicines to your furry friend can be challenging and painful for you as a pet owner, but the best part about these supplements is that they come in the form of small chewable tablets that your pet can easily consume. You can even present them as treats, and your pup will excitedly gobble them up.
- Contains excellent, high-quality ingredients
- Tablets are completely chewable
- They help keep dogs active and energetic
- Relieves joint pain in a matter of weeks
- Some retrievers might experience nausea and vomiting
- Not suitable for dogs with bladder and kidney problems
4. Doggie Dailies Glucosamine for Dogs
With ingredients that you can fully trust and a delicious taste that your pet will absolutely love, the Doggie Dailies Glucosamine is truly one of the best joint supplements for golden retrievers. This product consists of six active ingredients that greatly help repair and prevent joint damage in dogs.
Some of its key ingredients include glucosamine, MSM, cod liver oil, salmon oil, omega 3 and 6, as well as Vitamins C and E. These powerful ingredients will help provide all the vital minerals, vitamins, and nutrients that your pets need daily to maintain their energy and strength.
These supplements are designed to cater to a number of joint-related problems such as arthritis and hip dysplasia. Their formula primarily focuses on lubricating joints, reducing inflammation, and repairing cartilage in the bodies of aging dogs. A daily dosage can significantly improve your pet’s mobility and increase their energy levels, thereby allowing them to live a healthy and lively lifestyle.
Another notable feature of these joint supplements for golden retrievers is that they’re easy to chew and consist of a delicious chicken flavor. Much to your surprise, your furry pet might ask for more after every dose!
- Greatly increases mobility and natural energy levels
- Delivers vital nutrients and minerals to dogs on a daily basis
- Eases joint pain and discomfort
- Has a great chicken flavor
- Can cause diarrhea and vomiting
- Requires proper consultation from a vet
What to Look for When Buying Joint Supplements for Your Golden Retriever
It hurts to see your adorable little furry pet in pain; therefore, you know you have to give them medication to help them recover in no time. While you can’t magically take away your pet’s joint pain, you can definitely help by getting the right joint supplements for them.
There are a few features that you must consider when buying the best joint supplements for your golden retriever.
- It should contain a variety of active ingredients, such as chondroitin and glucosamine, because they greatly help boost joint health in dogs.
- If your pet has allergies or sensitivities towards food, make sure to look for hypoallergenic supplements.
- Choose the kind of formula that your pet will easily consume. These typically range between powders, liquids, and chewable tablets.
Our Final Thoughts
Joint supplements aren’t just meant for aging dogs; you can also give them to your pups. When choosing the best joint supplements for golden retrievers, make sure to check the ingredients and carefully read the label before buying. This is to make sure that you give the right product to your furry friend and help them be their usual energetic and lively self in no time!